Friday, July 25, 2014

Deer & Doe Datura

I think this is my favorite and most useful pattern... I've made five versions now and the fit is perfected. The pattern is great for leftovers and small bits of fabric,  and will look intentional if done right. (I didn't do it quite right on a few below.)

Too many shirts?


1) Paisley pride

This was my first datura and I wear it the most often. I used a scant 1.5 yard of a Liberty of London paisley print that was briefly on sale.

The armcyes are a little high cut, and the bias tape neckline had to be manually pinched and stitched to lay flat on my chest.

(Hint, the middle triangle folds in slightly when the shirt is worn, making the tape too long)

Also, I put the buttons on incorrectly in the back (they are evenly spaced, but it's better if they hit the top 2/3s of the shirt back, leaving the bottom third of the shirt without buttons), but otherwise, I love it. 


2) Linen + leftovers

This one is a little silly... I used leftover linen with a scrap of Liberty of London floral print (the rest was made into a colette sorbetto shirt)... and then I got weird with the bias tape and hemming. It is wearable and with the french seams I found myself wearing inside out by accident once. I've received compliments on it, but I do always feel a little clownish when I wear it. The back is sewn in place, no buttons.


3) Voile & silk

I tried a peter pan collar on this one. I used a Robert Kaufman silk/cotton blend for the yoke (yay, ordering 1 yard or less of something). The bottom is a cotton voile that is cute, but surprisingly stiff and too sheer for worry-free use without a lining... and it turns out I HATE peter pan collars. Which is good to know, they always look so cute on other people. I will skip them in the future.
This shirt is really only good for the office with a tank top underneath.



4) Voile leftovers

This is my favorite... I bought a scrap 5/8 yard of Joel Dewberry Notting Hill Pristine Poppy Poppy voile. It is lovely and soft (not stiff like the one above). For lining, I used a soft grey voile and for the back panels, I originally tried a white cotton, but it came off as too "I ran out of fabric" and not enough "I did this on purpose" so I used a matching red swiss dot voile. The fasteners are nice matching green cowgirl snaps.

I love this shirt! It's a little wrinkled from use yesterday. 

Cowgirl snaps on the back! A freaking nightmare to put in using cheap dritz pliers.
5) Rayon challis leftovers

Last night, I realized I had enough scraps of Anna Maria Horner's Sinister Swarm to make a shirt with 1/2 yard of cream challis. I skipped the bias tape neckline AND peter pan collar to make a plain yoke. It took me just over an hour to complete it... I've grown very comfortable with this pattern.
I'm very pleased with the result- the fabric is soft and drapey and the print goes well with the plain challis.
Ok,  I do have too many shirts. Time to get measurements from family & friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment