Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Léa, the (not so) little black dress

I finished a Léa dress from Jolie Marie Louise patterns!


Pattern: Léa dress from Jolie Marie Louise.
Fabric: Cotton/poly jacquard from Joann's - has sufficient body for the neckline... (part of my wearable muslin stash.)
Cut & Size: 12 bodice with 1.5 inch FBA, graded to 14 hips.

Notes:
The dress is super cute on the model, but I was really sold on the included FBA adjustment in the instructions.  This was my first woven princess seamed garment. The instructions are excellent and I managed to make the adjustment so that there are no popping buttons!


However, I think I was too timid with the sizing and I could have gone down to size 10 on the bodice with an even larger FBA-  At size 12, the back is still a little baggie near the waist and I had to trim two inches off the back bodice waistline to even it up with the front waist (where I removed one inch.) The waist itself is okay, but could be a bit tighter without causing button problems. The armscyes are quite generous by design and comfortable so they could be smaller too. Next time, I will properly shorten the bodice and try a smaller size.

I flat felled most of the seams, which looks fine with the stiff cotton/poly jacquard fabric I used. The edges that required finishing are done with pre-made bias tape. Overall, it looks very cool inside and out!

Also... I moved the middle button on the waistband up a centimeter. I'm leaving the space for a belt if I can bring myself to become the belt person I know I can be. Belt askew below...

During the making, I grew increasingly worried about the tightness of the skirt. I carry a lot of volume in my legs, so a narrow skirt usually does not work on me, AND my one requirement of any garment is to be able to ride a bike in it. (Dutch style!) It ended up tighter than I am used to, but with the back vent and one undone front button, I can pedal along on my vouwfiets. I doubt I could get a leg over the diamond frame, but that's okay. I'm not going touring anytime soon.

I highly recommend this pattern!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Alicia! The finishing on the inside looks gorgeous! And I think the fabric you chose just knocks it out of the park. The faint print on it is so pretty! I Adore this version of Lea, especially with the contrasting belt.

    ReplyDelete