Sunday, September 7, 2014

Floral clover dress

Another new dress!


I was very excited to see this pattern from Papercut Patterns. I've been curious to try a pattern from them but most of their other designs are not to my taste. However, the Clover dress is simple and lovely and I wasn't overly intimidated by the model with a waist smaller than one of my legs.

The dress runs to muumuu dimensions quickly, so a belt is definitely key to making this dress work!




There are instructions for making the tassel belt, but I skipped them. For the dress, I used a very nice light and flowing rayon challis. I suspect the drape is also key but I might try and make this out of a light cotton voile and see what happens...

As is, the skirt is very swingy and fun! I'm trying some twirling below to the confusion of my dog.



Pattern: Clover dress from PaperCut patterns
Fabric: Joann Fabrics rayon challis with navy rayon challis detail.
Cut & Size: Creative grading... Medium at the neckline and shoulders to L mid bust and XL at the hips. 
Notes: Pattern has only 1 cm seam allowance so I added 1 cm more when cutting... as consistently as possible. Flat fells seams at the bust detail, french seams elsewhere. Sleeves are not turned in, bias tape bound at cut edges.

Second version here: http://sewingintheshade.blogspot.com/2014/09/moth-clover-dress.html

6 comments:

  1. I love this dress. I don't have enough time for all the variations of it I want to try!!! silk, wool challis, voile! I love your print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It does seem to be a versatile pattern and it's quick to make! :) I made a second one in another rayon challis, but I think anything with good drape would be excellent. http://sewingintheshade.blogspot.com/2014/09/moth-clover-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't see it for sale at Joann's anymore... sad. I find myself wearing this dress a lot, it's so easy to throw over my head, add a belt and be done with it.

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous! Like usual I don't think Papercut's model photographs do the pattern any justice - your version is much nicer IMO, although I am probably biased because your shape is much more similar to mine than the model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They do have some very very skinny (and grumpy looking) models... :)
      The Clover dress does up to XL, so the size range is quite generous. I am planning to make one more but can't commit to a color blocking.

      Delete