Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Anna in wax print

Success! I made a perfectly fitted Anna dress- it's my fourth try with the bodice and it fits just right!



The only exception to the perfect fit is due to my choice to put a clunky zipper on the outside of the dress.

I thought this would be "fun"


But it turns out to be a little bumpy... maybe the outside zipper should be used on less fitted garments. At least it's easy to replace!



The back looks good on a hanger!



Pattern: Anna dress from By Hand London
Fabric: Vlisco wax cotton print
Cut & Sizing: Bodice 14, with a FBA based on this tutorial, graded to 16 waist, 18 hips and 20 bottom edge for some extra volume. +5 inches added to hemline. +1 inch to kimono sleeves.
Details:
French seams inside, outer zipper. 
The FBA added as a diagonal dart just above the first pleat. The second inner pleats were shortened by about an inch to give more room. I managed to eliminate previous bagging neckline by angling the pattern by an inch at center fold neckline. All changes are marked on the traced pattern piece. Stupid facings... they work here but still annoy me. I may just use bias tape for my next dress.



Full view:

2 comments:

  1. Hello Alicia,
    just found you blog over the curvy sewing collective and I've got to tell you, I love your style, i.e. I adore your fabric choices and the patterns you have used up until now are either on my wish list or I have used the same patterns to make my own versions. I especially love your 1940s tea dress and your doggy.
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.
    Kind Regards,
    Morven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Morven and thank you! I've been following your blog for awhile now too... and I love your style! Small world! :) I actually ordered the simplicity 1800 pattern after seeing your version- the neckline is so flattering... I haven't made it yet- too many other things in my queue. Cheers! Alicia

      Delete