Thursday, October 9, 2014

Floral 1940's Tea dress

In anticipation of a coming autumn/winter, (ha ha, it's going to be over 90 again this weekend), I have been purchasing and making longer sleeve patterns.

The Sew Over It 1940's Tea Dress was next on my list!



This tea dress is so lovely, I might drink tea despite the heat.

I love the vintage style! The sleeves and cuffs are very flattering. The crisp cotton lawn I used is very light and floaty so the skirt hangs just right. The bosom is over-emphasized with the gathers, but whatever, if you've got way too much of it, flaunt it anyways, right? I hope so.




Pattern: 1940's Tea dress, Sew Over It
Fabric: Liberty of London stretch cotton, navy cotton voile cuffs.
Size & Cut: Bodice size 14 with 1.5" FBA, 16 waist and graded out to 18 at the hips.

Details:
Five inches added to the skirt length. All seams are french seamed, had to take in an extra inch on both sides zipper seams... the whole back was too big... and the FBA could with be smaller, or pulled tighter. It could be the styling, the gathers do puff out a little on the sides. Maybe the gathers should be pulled more toward the center... But I'm going to wear this dress all the time anyways. I love it! 

I used this wonderful tutorial to do the FBA. The neckline is raised in the center "V" to keep coverage modest even as the gathers draw in attention. I added four buttons instead of three because I had four buttons. It looks good to me!


I plan to make more versions of this dress, hopefully I can find a nice swingy wool blend!

4 comments:

  1. Your dress is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is my favorite dress at the moment. I'm very happy with how it turned out... I plan to make another one this week. It is very easy to do!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to see this on you as I have this pattern and I think I have body measurements similar to you. Now I know how it will look on me! :) Love the vintage feel of your cotton lawn, it's perfect for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is another awesome pattern... I wasn't sure myself at first, but the neckline and sleeves are very flattering and the skirt has a nice flutter. My FBA was too big on this version- 1.5 inches, for reference, I am a D cup, 41 full bust and 37 upper bust. I made it half as big on the next version, and it feels/fits better.

      Delete