Friday, October 17, 2014

Night trees 1940's tea dress

I love this pattern! This is my second version (first here)... I will be making even more. :) There's just something about the vintage look and simplicity that appeals to me... and it looks good in a modern fabric!


Pattern: Sew Over It 1940's tea dress
Fabric: Night Trees border print from Smugglers Daughter
Cut & Size: 14 Bodice with 1 inch FBA, to 16 waist and 18 hips and lower edge + 5 inches length. 1 inch off bodice length all around.
Details: 
I shrunk the FBA of the first dress by about half an inch, and distributed the bust gathers more evenly. This is a much better fit for my bust. Also, I shortened the whole bodice by about an inch... I think there is more work to do with my swayback but it's okay for now.

Oh, and I might make the sleeve poofs a little less poofy in the future. 



The pieces are cut with the border print in mind. There's black on the sleeve cuffs, bottom hem and back zipper area. I hand stitched the zipper into place after three(!!) bad machine insertion attempts. The stretchiness of the fabric did not work well with my auto-tension/ zipper foot.



Also, all seams are finished with my new serger!! Super cool and fun to use. :)

Trying to keep my dog's attention below:

No comments:

Post a Comment