Saturday, October 11, 2014

Star Sureau

I've had this pattern for months... now that it's supposed to be fall weather, I finally got around to making it.

Below is a photo of the dress without adjustments or buttons (and a critical dog in the background).
There are some neckline gaping problems... After fiddling with the pooled fabric in the neckline, I put it under control by redoing the angle of the shoulder seams while pinching out an extra inch of the bodice front, AND angling in the bodice front in by 1/2 inch on the button placket. Very proud of myself.

Fixed with buttons below!

Pattern: Sureau from Deer & Doe
Fabric: Wax printed Cotton Stars from Vlisco
Size & Cutting: Bodice, 44 + a small FBA based on this tutorial. Waist and skirt cut out at 44, graded to 46 hips. 5 inches added to skirt length. (It ended up a little big, 42 bodice and 44 straight through might work best.)
Details:
Most seams are flat felled. The cotton is a little stiff so the gathers look more puffy than I'd like. My main problem was the gapey neckline but as I said,  I fixed the shoulder seams and marked the pattern piece for the future.

The print is rather loud... I have seen a few cute dresses made of similar fabric which inspired me... they didn't seem as loud...  Oh well. Colors are nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment