Friday, October 31, 2014

Timeless daywear Hawthorn

I signed up for the Vlisco newsletter so I can see when they offer sales and deals (every few weeks or so) that I cannot resist... During the last deal, I bought the fabric the model is wearing in this photo:

https://newsletter.vlisco.com/2/4/1063/29/lRbcYUMgBLvBYjOgAw0U5718-mTiyYOg0lohR8CD4S46huDUY0Vo_iTOz-7slOu7

Gorgeous, right? The shirt dress is lovely and they are trying to frame it as "timeless daywear" which is what I could use more of... so I made it into a Hawthorn. I'm no model, so... of course, I did not expect to look just like the woman in the ad, but I did expect the print to look awesome. Well, it does but I feel a bit conspicuous. I'm not sure I can wear this around timelessly, during my everyday activities like walking the dog, or shopping at trader joes. What do you think? Maybe I need a fancy interior as background. :)





Pattern: Hawthorn by Colette Patterns
Fabric: Vlisco wax print
Cut & Size: 12 bodice with added FBA bust dart, 12-18 skirt
Details:

I'm not sure if my FBA was messed up or if I just have a peculiarly short torso, but I had to cut two inches off the bottom of the front bodice and 1.5 off the back.  I tried on my first Hawthorn and can now see similar issues that I was previously able to disregard (getting better at sewing means ones standards are constantly being raised along with skill!) Anyways, it fits now, still a little loose at the waist, but that is probably for the best to insure that no buttons pop. I might take in the side seams at some point.

I added a few inches to the length of the skirt all around and sewed down the horrible facings as much as possible. I must remember for next time that the facings on the back neckline are nasty and awful and must be replaced with bias tape.

All seams are flatfelled including armscyes. Extra pressing helps! Oh and pockets!

Dog shot:


10 comments:

  1. It's just gorgeous, I would wear the hell out of it, and if you get stared at, just smile back, they always look away and sometimes even smile back, hey and why not walk the dog in that dress, just make sure he doesn't jump up at you with muddy paws. Feel like one of those fabulous New Yorkers, head high, sashaying away ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll try it out in the next week and see how it goes... Maybe I can make a matching collar/kerchief for my dog, then people can really stare. :)

      Delete
  2. I would top it with a solid purple or red cardigan. A solid cardigan makes me feel like I'm adding enough inconspicuousness back into an item that I can wear it anywhere! Love it! Makes me want to sew a Hawthorne, which hasn't really caught my attention before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good idea! I'll try that too. The Hawthorn pattern is really nice- the skirt is so full... I think it looks good in a lot of fabrics and prints... just beware the flippy facings.

      Delete
  3. Just found you on the Curvy Collective blog. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this dress. It is gorgeous. I am excited to start following you. Thanks for sharing this make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Are you a shirtdress fan or is it the fabric?
      love vlisco fabric so much... and the colette Hawthorn pattern is really nice. :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous fabric and a splendid Hawthorn too. Well done x Such a great dress x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a fun dress- I do enjoy wearing it! I have leftover fabric, maybe 2.5 yards...

      Delete
  5. I think the system ate my previous comment. This is stunning, and I think you should wear it often. Well done!

    ReplyDelete