Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Cardigan weather

It's cardigan weather! Ha ha, barely... it's chilly here only in the mornings and after sundown. During the day, the sun warms everything up. I've decided to make some casual cardigans anyways.

My second is the Simplicity / New Look 6330 pattern. I made view C, the same as view B without the extra fabric on the bottom. (My first cardigan was a failed Jenna cardi, entirely my fault, will try again)



 The cardigan is made to be closed at the waist with long loops, held taut on buttons by the tension of the waist. This means that if you cut big, you may have to shorten your loops... and sitting or moving might dislodge a loop.

The model in the pattern picture shows that the top portion is fully open in a V down the bust until the loop closures. I hadn't realized that until I tried it on! It's a nice cardigan to wear over something that could use a waist, not so good extra modesty.



Overall, it's nice and swingy, and the hemline dips nicely in the back.



Pattern: New Look 6330, View C
Fabric: Lightweight wool jersey from Mood
Size: I cut between and 18 and 20.
Details: Mostly constructed with my serger (Yay! Love it!), twin needle stitchdown of neckband seam, loops and sleeve hems.

The buttons are from a terrifyingly fancy local store. They have a great button collection but most are not online.



5 comments:

  1. I LOVE (!!!!!) this cardigan! This pattern is going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's very simple too, just a few pattern pieces.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty! I'm interested to know what kind of problems you had with the Jenna cardi. I have the pattern but haven't sewn one up yet. I'm hoping to find a v-neck hack/tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the Jenna cardi too big- it's sized very generously with a lot of ease. I misaligned the bottom panel (longer length version) and the button placket so the joining angles were not neat and needed handstitching to fold over the excess fabric. Also, my machine was unable to make button holes on the sweater knit even with interfacing so I used snap buttons which are a nightmare to install with the dritz pliers. One or two of them is slightly off, making the placket very slightly uneven. argh.

      Delete
  3. Ah, what a shame. I feel your pain. Thanks for the heads up about the generous ease. I will keep that in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete