Sunday, November 2, 2014

Hot pink Léa!



My second Léa dress is made out of a crazy fun wax print fabric... It is hot pink with small purple stripes and bright turquoise flower/atom symbols or something. It's awesome.


I imagined I'd downplay the buttons, but instead I went with hot pink glass flower buttons on top, and none on the bottom.


I love the pockets!

As you can see, I had a bit of fabric mismatch on the waistline, but I managed in most other places to keep it matched. Thank goodness for belts.





Overall, I'm very happy with the way to dress turned out! It is much better than my first one, a wearable muslin, a little too fitted out of my comfort zone. Not so for this one! For reference, the pattern goes up to size 14, but it is a generous 14 (44 bust, 37 waist, 46 hips) , and it is relatively simple to grade up if necessary. Adjustments such as FBA and shoulder fixes are nicely detailed in the instructions.



I managed to solve the problems from my previous version by adding a swayback adjustment (2 inches!) and choosing the "A - line" skirt variation from the sewalong posted online. (The regular skirt did fit, but was more tight than I prefer.) I also added the cute little sleeve (link to pattern piece in this post).

Squinty but pleased.


Pattern: Léa dress from Jolie Marie Louise. 
Fabric: Vlisco wax print
Cut & Size:  size 12 bodice with 1.5 inch FBA, graded to 14 hips.
Notes:
"A Line" skirt variation + 5 inches length, swayback adjustment (2 inches graded out along back bodice). Cute little sleeve. I ignored the button placement direction and used the fabric print as a guide, buttons on top bodice only, sewn down bottom skirt. (Dress is pullover) Snaps and hooks on bodice... maybe still be changed depending on performance!
 
---UPDATE---

I've only had one flasher incident when trying to put on a stiff jacket. Otherwise the hooks, snaps and buttons perform well. Also, while giving the dog a bath, I discovered the perfect skirt length to remain unsewn from the bottom up (sewn as an open kick pleat). I had to hover down over him in the tub and the stitches ripped up about 10 inches. I will be adding a diagonal stitch to make the imitation pleat. It actually looks intentional and stylish, all thanks to a troublesome dirty dog.

(If it seems that most of my recent garments are made of funky wax prints, it is because that is true. Vlisco had a "buy three get one free deal" where I calculated the total cost + shipping, from euros to dollars to equal about $12 a yard of gorgeous wax print cotton fabric. That is not such a bad deal and now I have tons of fabric to work with!)

10 comments:

  1. I love this dress and your last wax print dress! I've wanted some Vlisco prints for a while but I didn't realize they were so reasonably priced. I found your blog from the latest Curvy Sewing Collective roundup post, and I really like your makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina- Thanks!! Vlisco is really only reasonable during a sale... if you sign up for the newsletter or like them on facebook, you'll hear about the sales...

      Delete
  2. Super pretty! I love the placement of the buttons in the center of each flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The way I cut the fabric made it necessary for placement. It wasn't fully intentional. ;)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous dress on you. I saw you on the Jolie Marie Louise blog, all your handmade clothes are lovely. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is very comfortable too. :) The pattern & instructions are fantastic. I am looking forward to more releases from Jolie Marie Louise!

      Delete
  4. I like your version a lot more than the pic used on the online pattern shop, and I would buy the pattern based on your make alone! Looks really comfortable and I love your fabric choice, which raises it from an ordinary dress design, to a totally rocking one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super comfortable! I want to wear it everyday... Thank you for the fabric compliment! When I ordered it, it looked much darker and soberer online... I wasn't sure what I could do with it when I found out how hot pink it is, but I'm loving it now.

      Delete
  5. I clicked on 2 links on the Curvey Collective - and they turned out to be both yours - love both dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. You must like prints as much as I do! Thanks!

      Delete