Friday, December 5, 2014

Violet in Red & Black

Inspired by Tanya's super cute violet dress from Bluegingerdoll Patterns, I ordered the pdf and choose some red and black bamboo knit from my stash. I thought red and black would be sort of fun/sexy together. Color blocking is new to me so I chose a conservative red on top, black on the bottom approach. 

Halfway through, to my dismay, I realized I was making a Star Trek dress. Whoops. Combining the two colors must be done carefully, or a garment will look like a starfleet uniform.






It's very comfortable and nice so I finished it anyways and will wear it with a top layer until Halloween...  Then it has to be cut to a mini-skirt and I'll make a better version of this cut-out gold silk transponder thing.


Pattern: Bluegingerdoll Violet dress
Fabric: Bamboo knit from Harts Fabrics and Grey's Fabrics
Cut & Size: 14
Details:
Constructed with a 4 thread overlock stitch, twin needle stitching on the neckline and hems.
The bodice gather is smaller than the pattern design... The dress was pulling down too much already so I kept it modest. The skirt is cut about 5" longer than the pattern.
The bamboo knit is very drapey and stretchy. It's super soft... but I'll use a more structured knit the next time I make this pattern! Also, no geeky uniform colors. 

8 comments:

  1. You should really make more of these in a different color: the silhouette is fabulous on you and you did such a great job! And it looks soooo comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will try again in a thicker knit, maybe a print next time. It is very comfortable, and the skirt is nice ans swingy!

      Delete
  2. Okay, thats cool, you're a total fangirl with that dress and would rock any comiccon in that outfit, I love star trek, so you get gold stars from me for making that awesome ensemble, I've got so many knit patterns already, but I obviously need to get the violet dress now too, too many patterns, sew little time,
    you could easily post your dress on the monthly stitch, dezember's challenge is fangirl time, so your dress would totally work ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I don't think it's too Trek-y at all. I just bought this pattern after seeing Tanya's version, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! Tanya's version is soooo nice. I need more color blocking skill. I think I might need to *gasp* sketch it out. Boldly going where I haven't gone before. :)

      Delete
  4. Love it!! The Violet looks so fabulous on you! I love the color blocking, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Star Trek. So I might have to do this for a future dress. "Casual cosplay" here I come. :)

    ReplyDelete