Saturday, January 10, 2015

Deer & Doe Centauree three

Another older post - I made the dresses in the early spring/summer, 2014. 

This pattern is AWESOME.

I have made three versions - the first is my wearable muslin out of my go-to Brussels washer linen. I made it based on my full bust measurements (before I knew how to measure for upper bust and do a FBA) and it ended up being slip-over-the-head huge. So no zipper. However, it's very comfortable and good for the beach. Sometimes it's nice to have a huge swingy linen dress. :)



 Version two - is a japanese double gauze. I cut smaller and used french seams everywhere, which upon reflection, is maybe not the best for double gauze...  It worked, but gave me less control over subtle shaping in the bust and some of the seams are a little bulky. Still, the result is comfy and cute... also good for the beach! For the neckline, I ignored the cut in the middle bias tape instructions and applied a full length from shoulder to shoulder in the front. This worked out okay and seems stronger than instructed method. Oh, and pockets!



Version three -  is a quilting cotton with gold detailing. Very sturdy.... I used flat felled seams which allowed me to subtly decrease the seam allowances along the curving bust lines and increase them in the underbust. This is a bit of a cheat, but it worked well, and the dress fits very nicely. I added gold pre-made bias tape for detailing... and a quilting ribbon along the hem. I'm amazed it washes and wears as well as it does. Lucky me. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment