Thursday, April 16, 2015

A little top on top

The Ondée is a little top with a high waistband to go over a dress or a high waisted skirt. It takes very little fabric  (~ 1 yard) and is super quick to sew.



This is an embossed ponte knit from Emma OneSock and regular red ponte knit on the bands. It took me just over an hour to complete this with my serger and regular machine... no hemming required. (I love not hemming!)

It goes perfectly with my dress that has the Belladone skirt.


Here's a super cute version from Clo's. I ordered some black ribbing after seeing it to make black neckbands for some future versions.

For mine, I cut a size 46, lengthening the front bodice by about an inch. My serger skills are still basic, so the back neckline is a little messy on the inside, also, I didn't have any matching thread... so I used the black already threaded in my machine rather than going out to buy new colors. Lazy.

I do have another cropped pattern in my stash, the Muse Jenna Cardi, but I have such a hard time making button holes on knits, that I haven't made a wearable one yet. I will try again, but for now the Ondée is so much simpler.

Below is my first attempt, I made it in a hatchi type sweater knit. I screwed up the neckline and had to cut it out and redo it, a proper stitchdown would help it lay flat... but I don't think I'll bother. It's pilling after just a few hours of use! These are 7/8's sleeves. ha.


Looks good over a giant puffy gathered skirt to me! I'll have to find quality knits to make more of these.


For my third attempt, I sewed up a short sleeve version out of  a basic t-shirt material, nice and sturdy. I think it is Kaufman Laguna knit...  I lengthened the waistband a little to prevent bollywood belly when worn over a separate bottom (a sewaholic hollyburn skirt below). I have yet to stitch down the seams but plan to go buy matching thread... must stop being lazy.


I'm going to have tons of these. :)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that embossed knit from Emma One Sock! Where is your hatchi knit from? I've been thinking about buying some from fabric.com, but maybe I should avoid them if they pill like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is hatchi, I bought it off fabric.com. It is similar to other hatchi knits I've used but I'm not 100% sure it is one. Sorry!! I bought it ages ago... Some of the knits on fabric.com are so affordable, it could be worthwhile to experiment. I am also not careful when I wash things, so using a gentler cycle and no drier might help.

      Delete
  2. I'm als overy interested in the Ondée top and I love these versions on you.
    It's so nice to see them with different dresses to see options :-)
    Love those makes!

    ReplyDelete