Sunday, April 5, 2015

Pineapple Bruyère

California "winter" is over... and there are fewer and fewer cloudy days. The sun is growing brutal again, so I need a few more coverup shirts to protect myself. There was a sale at FabricWorm where I ordered a few yards of a nice light japanese cotton lawn with a pineapple print!  Buying sight unseen can be risky, so I was thrilled when the fabric arrived and the lawn has a buttery soft hand, similar to art gallery brand voile fabrics. The color is a carmine reddish orange print on an off-white background.

It's perfect for the Bruyère shirt.


Changes from my last Bruyère:
I added one inch to the bust length and 3/4" in the back. This helped pull the waistband down well below my bust, otherwise the FBA is the same. The side dart could probably be lowered a 1/2" and possibly slightly enlarged to pinch out the excess fabric at the armpits, but that will have til wait until my next shirt. All seams are french seamed, including the sleeves. I put the buttonholes on the wrong side of the sleeve cuff, so the tab is on top but as I expect to be rolling the sleeves, it's not such a big deal.

Backside waistband detailing:


Below is how it looks over top a centauree dress. The linen blend dress fabric is a little grabby, but I'll still wear the shirt as a coverup when necessary. The lines under the arms indicate need for changes to the side dart... Lowering, and enlarging? I'm fine with it for now, but will correct in future shirts.





 It fits and hangs much better without the linen top underneath. I need to make more skirts! The sun is out, look at that harsh shadow.


Too sunny, thank goodness I have a pineapple shirt.

Update: I forgot to mention my favorite new tool...  A flexible sewing gauge for button placement!


And one more photo, next day with the dog. The shirt is fitting much better after stretching out a little bit. So comfy. I like to wear it over skirts.

8 comments:

  1. Very cool fabric. :) I think you need to do a FBA as well as lower the dart. It looks too tight across the bust. Once you have more room through the bust, those armpit wrinkles may disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right... It does have a FBA, but I should enlarge it for my next shirt... I get so excited when a shirt can even button up on me that I lose critical judgement. Argh. I'll just wear a minimizer for now. :)

      Delete
  2. Pretty fabric and shirt! Oh man, I need one of those button spacer thingies- so useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier than using addition on a ruler, that's for sure. :)

      Delete
  3. PS: #pineapplesaresohotrightnow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fabric! Great choice for this tunic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think you did a fabulous job! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete