Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Hollyburn skirt

Skirt time!  I have made two hollyburn skirts  so far. It's a great pattern which has some of my favorite features. I love slanted pockets, I love circle skirts, I love the length of view A! I made one without any adjustments within a few hours. All seams are flat felled.

1) Black poplin

After wearing the skirt for a day, I noticed the waistband sitting weirdly. It was too big at the top edge and veered out from my stomach at a sharp angle. This is apparently a common problem with straight waistbands. I found this tutorial to make a contoured (curved) waistband, for my next skirt.
To note, after wearing this a few times, I decided it needed a lining so I added one cut on the same pattern from some black bemberg rayon lining fabric. Works like a charm. 

2) Vlisco wax (now my favorite skirt)



I can't get enough of this skirt! I'm planning to make some shirts just to go with it, brown, black and white. I have a slip that is long enough to wear underneath so it doesn't catch on my leggings, but I might still add a lining.  Also, there is a catch around the zipper, where the skirt rides up very slightly in the small of my back.  I think I need to make a small swayback adjustment to make this pattern an even better fit. I think the first skirt waistband hiked the skirt up so much that this problem wasn't apparent.

Only one other flaw, argh, needs ironing after a wash:

4 comments:

  1. I love them both! I only sewed A line skirts so far but these two Hollyburn skit's are going on my 'I want to sew this' list.

    How do you attach lining afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them both! I only sewed A line skirts so far but these two Hollyburn skit's are going on my 'I want to sew this' list.

    How do you attach lining afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, I cut and sewed a copy of the skirt out of the lining material. I attached it to the bottom of the waistband by folding a seam allowance under and sewing through the waistband and lining together. Very lazy but effective. I left a "v" opening around the zipper.

      Delete
    2. That's a good idea, thank you so much Alicia!!

      Delete