Thursday, May 14, 2015

New (old) machine!

I went to the sewing machine supply store to pick up an invisible zipper and I bought a new (old) sewing machine. :)


 It's so nice, it purrs!  I'm smitten.

On Monday afternoon, I tried to enter the shop as an adorable older couple was finishing up selling the wife's Bernina Record 830 because she could no longer sew. She was the original owner and she had made her wedding dress on it! She was very proud to say she still fit in the dress so many decades later. Then her husband made her tell us a story (he obviously loved) about when she worked in high-fashion and accidentally ate the wrong lunch or something. It was so cute how much they loved each other. Anyways...

The machine was made as a top of the line product the year I was born... not saying when. The experts at the store looked it over during the weekend, replenished the accessories, and gave me an excellent deal.


My issues with my current Singer Curvy machine have built up over time, but overall it's been a great machine. I'm just a little tired of some of the things detailed below and I'm very excited to have something new and more reliable to work with... and to still have the Curvy for any extra stuff that I want to do.

Curvy issues: inconsistency with the feed dogs, slippage and fabric sucking into bobbin area, needle always stops in up position, button hole foot + lever system SUCKs, raise foot lever is extremely trigger happy and even a slight bump will lower it turning garment corner sewing, or anything with a lot of body into fabric/lever wrestling farces, skipping stitches when nothing else appears to be amiss, beeping, settings reset with each on/off, "auto threader" a hindrance to threading the machine without it, three mysterious refusals to work at all until everything was removed, blown out, a chant was sung, smudge sticks burned and tears of despair were procured.

The only concern I had with getting an older machine is the lack of buttonhole options. The buttonhole method appears relatively simple but will rely on my careful measurements and markings to make them the right size. I think this will be okay, it's got to be better than the stupid lever on the Curvy never reaching consistent end points.

I will have to rearrange my sewing room this weekend for the new arrival! 

7 comments:

  1. This is the same machine my Mum has! She bought it new around the time I was born and is still sewing on it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... She must love it! Have you used it?

      Delete
  2. I have a vintage Bernina - a slightly different model but it has changed my (sewing) life. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm loving the sound it makes, like a humming purr... not sure what to make first on it!

      Delete
  3. Oooh, the record 830 is a really good machine. I'm a bit jealous now! You're going to have so much fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delinking to say I have this exact same machine, mine was my Gran's and I have the same maroon box and manual too. Very reliable, just need to concentrate when doing buttonholes. I'd love to hear if you get the twin needle figured out, I can't fathom it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mum has a very similar looking one too :) It was strange getting my modern Janome having only ever sewn on one of these. It felt far too computery and mysterious (and I'm a Software Engineer!). I'm used to it now but I think if I were to go back the locking stitch is the thing I'd miss - I never have to use reverse!

    ReplyDelete