Thursday, May 14, 2015

Stylearc Faith top

I love the freebie Faith tunic from Stylearc this month! I made a muslin over the weekend with some nice thin cotton lawn and wore it two days in a row before photographing it, so please excuse the wrinkles. It's perfect for hot weather: lightweight, floaty, with excellent coverage, easy to pullover.


And it only needs two buttonholes for the sleeve tabs!

(My machine buttonhole ability is no longer satisfactory. I'm avoiding any functional or highly visible button holes until I get a new one... )

I put in a dart FBA, but the neckline still doesn't sit flat like the drawings. It folds, or curves in as you can see on the hanger. I have decided that I don't mind, I even kind of like it. Also, I usually hate raglan sleeves on my figure, but these were designed with a narrow, high opening that fits well.

Pintucks are not easy... I messed up the back neckline a little bit too, but eventually I'll set it right.
The fabric is a Japanese 90% cotton, 10% linen blend from Miss Matatabi. It's sold out but there's another one with white instead of grey.

Over the past few evenings (4 hours total), I made another out of a sheer white cotton/poly material. I did a much better job the second time around except for my lazy hemming. :)  It will be good to wear when it gets really hot out and I want to avoid skin exposure.



Details:
US 12, with 1.5" FBA darts added. The back is cut on a fold (the pattern/instructions advise to lay the whole piece out), front is cut on fold, with seam allowance sewn down below neck cutout. Shoulder darts are cut/sewn in full, to avoid raw edges. All possible seams are french-seamed. Length is good directly from the pattern!

Shoulder dart detail:

2 comments:

  1. I love this! On the white one, what is the fabric you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white fabric was from Harts"Cotton Voile Stripe White 78487", but it is sold out. There is a similar one at Mood: http://www.moodfabrics.com/white-on-white-striped-cotton-voile-303179.html

      Delete