Monday, June 15, 2015

B&W combo

Last week, I made a skirt from a pattern from my stash, the Butterick skirt pattern, B5929. I made view A, with pockets and without a visible waistband. The front pleats are very pleasing, and it is great to have a good pattern for border print fabric.

Skirt front with pleats and pockets:


I'm not as happy with the back pleat arrangement, it gets a little puffy on either side of the zipper. I will probably change it on my next skirt.  For this one, I did not alter the pattern other than to add about 4 inches to the length so it ends just below my knees. 

Back:


Next, in an attempt to make more loose pull-over layers to wear over dresses, I made a StyleArc Hazel shirt out of a nice black rayon jersey and some stretch lace. I used all black on the front... my dresses and skirts typically have so many colors and patterns that a solid color top is a relief. :)



I sewed on the sleeve extensions, but I found that the sleeve length pulled down too much at the armpits. I cut off the extensions, turning them into hem bands. The sleeves no longer pull down, making the shirt far more comfortable. Oh, and I stitched down the facings along the neckline. It's not perfect, but I think a wash and pressing will fix the slight puckering.

From the back:

The shirt length is too long for me, pooling at the waist where the hem band stops at my hips. On slim hips, it might hang, but that's not how I am built, and that's not how one orders patterns from StyleArc. They come in one specified size; good for one-sized people, bad for wildly disproportionate people like me. I ordered the shirt for my upper bust measurement, planning to put in a FBA, but the bagginess makes one unnecessary.  For my next shirt, I will shorten the front panel by at least three inches before adding the hem band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment