Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Red clover

On days that I know I have to ride my bike somewhere, I find myself reaching for my clover dresses more than any other type. It's such a simple dress; pullover, loose sleeves, fluttery skirt. It makes an excellent riding (and presentable after riding) dress. My other dresses with fitted bodices are just not quite as comfortable on the bike... the waistline will pull up or down and I've typically made the back bodice fit well when standing or sitting, but not when leaning forward with my arms engaged. It's doable, but not as effortless as the Clover dress with no waistline, and raglan sleeves.

So I made another. I used my favorite Brussels washer linen, and some embroidered silk as an accent for the front details. I added tabs to turn up the sleeves and sewed the buttons through instead of making buttonholes. This may be bothersome when layering over the dress, but I love the look of it.


The pattern matching on the detail is off... sorry to those who hate that kind of thing. I really can't be bothered to redo it...


Size: Medium shoulders, cut to large at the bust and hips. 5+ inches length added to the skirt.

4 comments:

  1. I just copied you! I've only made the Clover in a print blouse and the way I did (not) match the pattern makes it not worn very much (at all). I've been wanting a red dress and this is: gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! What fabric are you using? I wear this one a lot. I have a skinny hooked belt that pulls it in where necessary but I'm thinking of adding ties to the side seams for the next one I sew.

      Delete
  2. I completely copied you and ordered the washer linen from Hawthorne. I've made a navy Anna our of the washer linen and liked it; I also used the gray and that one didn't have enough, I don't know, life to it. I have some black eyelet fabric that I'm using for the V. Hey, when I copy I don't fool around! I definitely need to make/use a belt. I was thinking of doing a variation on the braided ropy thing that Papercut uses.....I'm just not sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, awesome. Or you could use the same belt that I use! http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/accessories-belts-leather/31050487.jsp#/

      Delete