Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Gallery tunic

The Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic pattern is so cute.  I loved the swirly navy dress in this link and decided to imitate it with a drapey grey rayon twill from harts. Unfortunately, it turned out to be one of those dresses that looks adorable on little people, but tent/sacklike on my larger curvy figure. A belt helped out, but I'm not sure I'll be wearing it too often. Sorry, no photos of it... but...



I tried it again as a long shirt, and I'm very happy with it. This time, I used a floaty cotton, (not as drapey as the rayon) and the ease looks better, more structured, less sacklike. It is super comfortable in hot weather. The neckline is very high but opens nicely. I added sleeve tabs to hold up the rolled up 3/4 sleeves.

Size: 12 in the shoulders/bust with 3" total FBA, graded out to 14 in the hips. Inner collar stand and placket are a thin interfaced chambray.

Back view:



FBA on a roll of medical paper:





Dart and inner collar stand:


Dart and sleeve tab:

2 comments:

  1. Would this make a good project for a novice? I have signed up for a beginner's sewing class in the autumn and I need to choose a pattern to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would make a good project... the inner yoke/ collar stand is a bit fiddly, but the instructions are very clear. Just be sure to press the fabric between each step!

      Delete