Monday, January 11, 2016

Lilac linen

Posting some old drafts!

I had a summer linen craze.



I bought this lovely lilac linen during a "blue moon sale" at my local fancy fabric store. In my hunt to find the perfect pullover linen dress pattern, I decided to try the Simplicity 1800. The front pleats are cool, and the neckline is very interesting. I really like the pockets.. Even better, the pattern is a multi-size custom fit. I chose the D cup and the curvy butt pieces.
I cut 16 on top, to 18 on the bottom.




As I intended it to be a pullover, I did not stitch the darts in the back bodice. This lets it hang better. I added three inches to the back pieces and made little box pleats instead of the longer shaping darts in the pattern. The result is a very comfortable dress. I love the pockets! I love the linen wrinkles. It's so light weight, like wearing nothing at all.

The only issue is the raglan sleeves and my bust. Even with the largest cup size, the sleeves still don't fit flat on my armscyes, but extend out from the bust. Typical. This is why I usually avoid raglan sleeves, but I thought the special sizing of this pattern would solve the problem.



The bodice is lined with a soft shear patterned voile. I ignored the instructions and just sewed up the dress. The facings in the pattern looked truly dreadful and flippy, so I used bias tape to finish the neckline from shoulder to shoulder. Interior seams are either french seams or finished with bias tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment